Here are our Top 7 tips for nailing that audition
1. Read the WHOLE script or play! If you are auditioning for a particular part or even if you are playing a background role, it's really important that you understand each character's journey, not just the parts you are auditioning for.
2. Learn your lines! Learn them fully, recite them constantly until you can say them in your sleep. Once the nerves of the situation come on, lines can be the first thing to go! However you can take your sides in with you but try and not rely on them.
3. Speaking of nerves, turn them into excitement! Nerves are just a representation of the fight or flight mode we have in high pressure situations. Use the nervous energy to push into your performance and feel excited about the challenge.
4. Know your character. If you are auditioning for a part, make sure you understand it fully! What do they like? What happened in their past? How does the audience view them?
5. Act! Acting is not just words. Think about your body language, eye contact and movement, and how it interacts with others on the stage.
6. Show your personality. Engage with the directors, ask questions and smile! It's as much about you as how you portray the character. And know who you are meeting and who is going to be on the panel!
7. Enjoy it! Auditions can be daunting, but they are also great fun and a way to meet new people. You won't get every part you go for, and that's ok. It all helps to build your experience!